Random acts of kindness progress
Last time we left off I had a long list of random acts of kindness to do this month in celebration of turning 30 on the 30th! I’m really enjoying doing this and, like I thought it would, it brings happiness to me in addition to the person who benefits from my random act of kindness. I’ve crossed out the ones I’ve done–looks like I have a lot of work left to do!
1. Pick up trash in my neighborhood (I bought the latex gloves so I can do this without getting icky stuff on me:)
2. Pay the toll bridge fee for the person behind me (This was so exciting. Clark and I watched through our rear view window and the guy eventually passed us and waved!)
That’s the truck that we paid for!
3. Pay the ferry fee for the person behind me
4. Leave quarters at a laundromat
5. Write a letter to a friend and send it snail mail
6. Make up bags of toiletries/snacks for the homeless
7. Leave handwritten notes in cards on park benches, cars and restaurant tables with encouraging messages. (Should do more of these.)
Post it note with a happy message left on a table for someone to discover
8. Load quarters into soft drink, gumball and game machines at a grocery store.
9. Do another house cleaning sweep and donate clothes, kitchen items and furniture to Goodwill.
10. Tape microwave popcorn bags to Redbox Movie machines.
11. Drop change around a playground for children to find. (This sounds intriguing to me, will it really be a hit?)
12. Purchase & donate coloring books and crayons to the waiting room at the hospital.
13. Purchase a couple of gift cards to a bookstore and leave them inside your favorite books for people to find.(My friend Tabi joined me on this one–she put a gift card and an encouraging message in a book about handicapped children and I put one in my favorite re-read–Pride and Prejudice and a card in a lighthearted book in the teen section that made me laugh out loud when I read it a few years ago.)
14. Open doors for others
15. Return shopping carts for people
16. Volunteer at the local humane society (Okay, wait, I do this every week anyway but I’m going to go on a different day for a shift that is shorthanded.
17, 18, 19, 20, 21. Look for ways to brighten the days of the ladies in my bible study. This won’t be random in that I know these ladies but it will be an extra effort that I normally wouldn’t go to.
22. Give a stranger a compliment
23. Leave a positive comment on a blog (I need some easy ones, it is already April 5th!)
24. Let someone in line go ahead of you
25. Bring some candy to the dance event this weekend to share with tablemates and strangers as a quick little sugar rush “Pick me up.”
26. Oh man…what else? You know what, I’m going to leave some of these open so that I will be looking for opportunities to help others. But if you have any suggestions let me know.
I was also so excited when my friend Liz said that she had done a random act of kindness for me as my birthday “gift.” She helped an elderly lady that she met through her church run errands. It was something I wouldn’t have thought of and it made me so happy to know that she had spread the love. Thanks Liz!
Posted: April 15th, 2012 by Tovah under family & fun.